Tasked with making a drawing machine, I wanted to use an unconventional medium and learn more about molding. I 3D printed a model of a monkey skull, set a silicone mold around it, and poured melted crayons into it. The skull sits on a vibrating table made with a Arduino controlled subwoofer and moves around as it vibrates creating interesting patterns related to its shape.
The project began as a learning experience in mold making. I knew that I would have to make one to build the skull, but had no prior experience with the process. After emailing my art class professor I settled on a single piece silicone mold and set about making it. I started by 3D printing the model of the skull and then set the mold around it. The mold held heat a lot better than I expected so I pulled the first attempt out too early and it came apart, I learned from that mistake for future versions.
Once I had worked out a process for making the skull I started working on a way to make the vibrating table. Originally I was going to use a non-centered weight attached to a servo, but my early prototype didn't make enough vibration so I ended up looking for an alternative.
The mechanism that I settled on was a subwoofer that I bought from Goodwill. I needed high frequency vibration that didn't displace the surface too much so that ended up working really well. As always I started with a prototype and worked up to a final version. I took apart the original subwoofer and scavenged the parts I needed, hooked the speaker up to a power supply to work out how many volts I needed to supply to it to get the type of motion that I needed, and then wrote a script to control it with my Arduino.
Having prototyped all of the components I set about building the final enclosure and wiring a switch and power indicator light to the subwoofer to indicate to users when it was running. Breaking the project up into smaller parts made the final build fairly straightforward.
Back to Top